Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Corner view: something old, something new....

The brides in my family have an easy time satisfying the custom of wearing something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue on their wedding day. For 100 years now, every bride in the family has worn my great-grandmother's lace veil that she had made for her in Belgium when she married in 1911. I think something like 20 different women have worn it. That covers the something old and something borrowed. The something blue comes from a sapphire necklace from the other side of the family. And the new? Well, shoes usually handle that one.

There weren't any brides hanging around my corner this week, so I thought I'd try to find the something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue in my neighborhood.

Something old. Since the pro-slavery Quantrill and his ruffians raided our town, killing 150 men and boys and burning down all the buildings in 1863, we have very few structures that pre-date the Civil War. This old farmhouse (now, in the middle of an established neighborhood) escaped the attack. It was built in the early 1850s and is beautifully maintained by its current owners. (Dear European Corner-Viewers, please don't laugh at the fact that 160 years is considered old.)


Something new. They tore down an old house and built this new one on my street last year:


Something borrowed: A rental? Does that count?


Something blue:


Hmm. That house looks more gray than blue in the picture. How about this one?


To discover more interpretations of "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue," visit the Corner View, hosted by Francesca.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely houses. I really like the rental property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interpretation of the theme! I love the greyblue house, reminds me of Pippi Longstocking! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the houses in your corner of the world! I'd like to live in the Blue/Grey house...

    ReplyDelete
  4. made in belgium! i like hearing that!! ;)))
    and no worries, i like american old as well. don't you worry.
    driving 'round your neighbourhood, in your imaginary car, or whatever, is just always a delight. this time i do believe i was scared a hord of apes would jump on the wind screen (just reminds me of outside scenes in jumanji, yeah?).
    anyway.
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful family tradition you have - I'd love to see your great-grandmother's handmade lace veil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great houses! Love Victorians! How lucky you are to live in such a great neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice houses!!

    and to have your great-grandmother's handmade lace veil....wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those houses! I agree with likeschocolate - you are lucky to live in such a lovely neighbourhood with so much great architecture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And will you be wearing your great grand-mother's veil anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete