Wednesday, September 14, 2011

corner view: iconic

I'm not really a truck person, but for my corner of the world, few things are more iconic than a good ol' red Silverado Chevrolet pickup truck.


These days, pickup trucks look more like this one, and cost more than luxury sedans.


I drive a pickup truck. I always back in. I don't have to park on concrete. I drive a pickup truck, dammit. I make my own rules.



Of course, I prefer the older ones. If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right. Bonus: towing notice on the driver's window.



They don't make cars this color anymore. Why not?


Those headlights look like they could blink.










A little creepy that I found you in the funeral home parking lot. A Lawrence-style hearse?


Pea green

Butter yellow (I think I just got hungry looking at these trucks.) I don't think this one is too old, but I dig the hubcaps.


For more iconic images throughout the world, visit the comments section on Francesca's site.

13 comments:

  1. For me the pickup are cars / icons typically American, like in the movies we see! I love the rusty old pickup (photo 4), it's very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just so impossible to find those trucks in Europe... they are incredible and a lot of movie scenes come to my mind ;-)
    The issue of space and size are so different in the USA!

    ps: no deep secrets to share from my Moleskine diaries, they are my weekly organizers ;-) Nevertheless, i think that organizers are at the core of one's privacy (and then, yes, there are some secrets!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like it Menthe Blanche - I know these great cars in American movies. I like the very old who are still round at the front. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea! I love the brown/rusty one!! I can't believe all of these cool trucks are all around you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the older one just above the blue Ford, back when trucks had the curves seemingly of Gothic architecture. Here's a semi-restored vintage 1950 Chevy:


    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/owningavintage1950chevy.jpg/sr=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. such cool pickups and so very American! - I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic!!
    My favorite is the rust colored brown one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this - the photos and the text. I literally laughed out loud. (After all, I grew up in Tennessee and lived in Alabama and Georgia for many years as well, so I understand the truck culture :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am simply besotted by these dodgy cars... and by the loving way you describe them as icons, no less...
    this car reminds me of that heart tearing scene in bridges of madison county, when streep can't hardly decide what to do, at the stop lights? she's in a pick up, i think... ;)
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post - funny and US iconic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to grin about your accompanying lines. In the past, I've translated a few romance novels situated just about where you live, and yes, the pickups were very prominent in it. Supporting actors, so to speak...

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  12. i do miss a good pickup here in Italy. They are so handy. It's even handier when nearly every family you know has at least one. That's how we roll in the South. In Italy, not so much.
    d

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha ha, nice one.
    nice to see a different sort of iconic too ;)

    ReplyDelete