Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Corner View: Black & White

Recently, my mom's cousin shared these photos of the White family. All four of the children were adopted. My grandmother (the oldest girl in the picture) was orphaned during the 1918 Influenza Pandemic in San Francisco and the oldest boy was one of the children sent west as part of the horrible social experiment called the Orphan Train. Have you ever seen a more fabulous collection of hats in one family?


My great-grandmother always answered the phone, "The White House!"


Now I need to go find a Black family....

11 comments:

  1. Those are great photos. I love old photos, I love looking at the clothes and the faces and reflect on the fates. The house is beautiful. A dream.

    Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, indeed, what a collection! and what a contrast with the last, tropical, colorful post! Greetings from grey Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love old photos! and yes that is a wonderful hat collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, those are wonderful hats! I love looking at old photos - whether I know the people or not. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely story and great photographs. Love the hats - particularly the one the mother is wearing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're too funny...
    my, what a story.
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of the Orphan Train until now. I wonder why that it so. Thanks for sharing the old photos...have you found the family Black?
    D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of the orphan train!
    "the white house!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness...it's like the trailer for a film or a book :-)
    I hope your Grandmother went into a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is quite a story....!
    I have never heard of the orphan train.
    What a days than....

    ReplyDelete